Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey welcomed Dr. Fei-Fei Li to it’s Board of Directors as the new independent director. As an AI expert, this new addition to the board comes after what Twitter has referred to as a flurry of misinformation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic has “infected” the social media platform.
“Welcome @drfeifei to the Twitter board!,” Dorsey tweeted on Monday.
“Twitter is an incredible example of how technology can connect the world in powerful ways and I am honored to join the Board at such an important time in the Company’s history,” said Dr. Li. “AI and machine learning can have an enormous impact on technology and the people who use it. I look forward to leveraging my experience for Twitter as it harnesses this technology to benefit everyone who uses the service.”
A Twitter Inc. press release on Monday announced Dr. Li as the newest member on the board:
“With unparalleled expertise in engineering, computer science and artificial intelligence (AI), Fei-Fei brings relevant perspectives to the Board as Twitter continues to utilize technology to improve our service and achieve our long-term objectives,” said Omid Kordestani, Executive Chairman of Twitter. “She shares Twitter’s passion for using technology to promote positive change and her appointment aligns with our commitment to adding a director who reflects the diversity of the Twitter service and also possesses deep technology and AI expertise.”Li is the inaugural Sequoia Professor in Stanford University’s Computer Science Dept., and Denning Family co-director of Stanford’s Human-Centered AI Institute. She was director of Stanford’s AI Lab from 2013-2018, according to the press release.
It’s important to note Dr. Li left Google amid a controversy over the tech giant’s contract to develop AI tools for the Pentagon (Project Maven), Business Insider reported, saying Li was “more concerned about Google’s public image than the ethical concerns for the technology.”
After thousands of employees signed an internal letter over their concerns of weaponization of the AI technology and governmental overreach, Google announced in 2018 it would not be renewing its contract with Project Maven.
Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton called Dr. Li out for cooperating with the CCP, but being embarrassed to be working on Project Maven.
“Yay, Twitter hires a former Google exec who wants to cooperate with Chinese communists, but is embarrassed about helping the American military! Congratulations, @jack! Big Tech again shows its true colors.”
Perhaps even more important to note is Dr. Li, who was born in China, has ties to Paul and Daisy Soros, brother and sister-in-law respectively of billionaire financier of chaos George Soros. Dr. Li is a 1999 Fellow of the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship of New Americans.
The official website for The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans” states the organization is a “$90,000 merit-based fellowship exclusively for immigrants and children of immigrants who are pursuing graduate school in the United States. The program draws more than 2,200 applications annually for just 30 fellowships.”
Members of the Twitter Board of Directors currently consists of:
- Executive Chairman Omid R. Kordestani
- Chief Executive Officer & Director Jack Dorsey
- Independent Director Dr. Fei-Fei Li
- Independent Director Egon Pierre Durban
- Independent Director Jesse Aron Cohn
- Independent Director David S. Rosenblatt
- Independent Director Bret Steven Taylor
- Independent Director Martha Lane Fox
- Lead Independent Director Patrick Pichette
- Independent Director Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
- Independent Director Robert B. Zoellick.
- Laura Loomer Calls On Feds To Raid Jack Dorsey’s Home And Charge Him For Aiding And Abetting Terrorists - June 1, 2020
- Twitter Quick To Show Its Support For Nationwide Riots, Promotes Black Lives Matter On Official Accounts - May 31, 2020
- Twitter Once Again Censors President Trump’s Tweets, Disabling Replies Less Than 24 Hours After The President Signs New Executive Order Over Online Censorship - May 29, 2020